Wednesday, April 28, 2010

what's lost is what remains

my earliest memories of my feet are of my velcro sneakers. they were white and small. and the velcro straps were plastic and baroque: they featured spiderman streaking through the air, his face the most visible part of his person. (on second thought, it was more like whisking; he wasn't actually streaking. needless to say, this image would be somewhat inappropriate for pre-adolescents.) but so one day I came home from school, and they were gone.

it's true: I used to fear touching the ground with bare feet. I remember walking the beach with my family, my parents taking the lead, my brother and I following. they urged me to lose the shoes or to at least discard the socks. I refused. I remember using a towel decorated with sunflowers to cart myself across the sand, as if it was some sort of dogsled propelled forward by my shuffling feet. I remember meeting the rising tide and watching my parents lope through the river in the sand. I remember stopping in front of the water as if waiting for orders, waiting for a cue, waiting.

I remember how my spiderman sneakers barely survived the risen ocean, how they embodied the phrase sopping wet.

they had been delivered to the town dump. I pitched a fit and my parents told me I should cope: trust us, you'll be fine. they were right. but at the time, getting over it wasn't so simple. my spiderman sneakers, the mainstay and treasure of my day-to-day experience, had been doomed to becoming lost forever, to no longer being an extension of that which they had attached themselves to in all their time -- me. and as the saying goes: with time you heal. but you still remember it -- the commotion and the chaos...the tumble...the water in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment